Washington cools contact with Moscow: no progress or date set for a Trump–Putin meeting
- October 21, 2025
- 0
The United States ruled out a summit between Trump and Putin after Kremlin demands and disagreements over a possible ceasefire in Ukraine.
The United States ruled out a summit between Trump and Putin after Kremlin demands and disagreements over a possible ceasefire in Ukraine.
The United States confirmed on Tuesday that there are currently no plans for a meeting between Presidents Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, after the Kremlin imposed specific conditions for organizing one. “
There are no plans for President Trump to meet with President Putin in the immediate future,” a White House spokesperson told international agencies.
The announcement marks a significant pause in Washington and Moscow’s attempts to reestablish direct dialogue on the war in Ukraine.
Sources close to the U.S. government said that Russia’s demands — including the exclusion of NATO from talks and the recognition of occupied territories — made it impossible to move forward with preparations for the summit, which Trump himself had hinted was imminent.
On social media, the former U.S. president enthusiastically declared that both leaders would meet “in two weeks in Budapest,” sparking global expectations.
He said the meeting would address the Ukrainian conflict and the supply of Tomahawk missiles, claiming he could “end the war in a single day” if he returned to the White House.

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov stressed that Russia would only take part in negotiations if the “root causes of the conflict” were addressed — namely NATO’s expansion and the protection of Russian-speaking populations. “It’s not about dates or places,” Lavrov said, “but about how to move forward with what was agreed in Anchorage.”
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky received European backing for Trump’s proposal to halt hostilities. Moscow, however, rejected any immediate ceasefire, arguing it would “contradict previously agreed principles.”
CNN also reported that a meeting between U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Lavrov, scheduled for this week, was postponed. According to the network, the decision followed “deep disagreements” over how to implement a ceasefire.
Lavrov said that “Washington acknowledged that Moscow’s stance remains unchanged” and that both diplomats only agreed to maintain “telephone contacts.” Officials from both the United States and Russia noted that organizing a summit between Trump and Putin would require extensive preparation and could face delays due to logistical and political factors — including the International Criminal Court’s arrest warrant against Putin and NATO’s airspace restrictions.