Israel’s new airstrikes in Gaza threaten to collapse the fragile Middle East ceasefire
- October 19, 2025
- 0
Israel’s bombing of Gaza after a suspected Hamas attack reignites tensions, raising concerns in the United States about the peace deal.
Israel’s bombing of Gaza after a suspected Hamas attack reignites tensions, raising concerns in the United States about the peace deal.
Following a Hamas attack, Israel’s airstrikes in Rafah alarmed the United States and jeopardized efforts to preserve peace in Gaza.
On Sunday, Israel carried out airstrikes on the southern Gazan city of Rafah following an alleged attack by Hamas militants on Israeli troops. The exchange of fire has thrown the fragile ceasefire, in place since October 10, into jeopardy, threatening to reignite full-scale conflict in the region.
So far, the Israel Defense Forces have not officially confirmed the attacks or reported casualties, though local reports described multiple explosions near military installations. The Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt will remain closed as Israel assesses Hamas’s adherence to peace commitments.
Israel’s Defense Ministry said the Islamist group still holds the bodies of at least 18 Israeli hostages, while the return of two others was expected under the peace deal. However, recent hostilities could derail the process indefinitely, according to officials in Jerusalem.
The United States, a key mediator in the peace process, warned Saturday of “credible information” suggesting Hamas intended to violate the ceasefire through an attack on Palestinian civilians. U.S. officials said the clashes in Rafah could represent “a serious breach of the agreement.”

According to witnesses cited by AFP, Israel conducted two airstrikes in southern Gaza after militants opened fire on Israeli forces from urban areas. An Israeli officer described the operation as “a proportional response to an armed provocation.”
A source within Hamas’s armed wing told EFE that the Rafah operation targeted Yasser Abu Shabab, the leader of a rival militia known as the “Popular Forces.” The group said Israeli troops intervened in support of Shabab, triggering crossfire.
Hamas rejected Washington’s accusations and blamed Israel for arming and financing rival militias within Gaza. “Our security agents act under clear legal mechanisms to protect citizens,” the group said.
Izzat al Rishq, a Hamas spokesperson, accused Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of “fabricating pretexts to evade the peace agreement” and of bowing to pressure from his far-right coalition.
Hardline ministers within the Israeli government demanded immediate retaliation. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich posted a single word on X: “War.” National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir urged Netanyahu to “fully resume combat operations in the Gaza Strip.”
The airstrike in Rafah threatens to shatter the delicate diplomatic balance and casts doubt on international mediators’ efforts to maintain peace across the Middle East.